But that's hardly the point here. Notice how, of the 5 of us, I'm the only one not from the Pure Science class, 5U? When I pointed this out, Faiz jokingly commented :
"Nicholas, you were supposed to be in 5U lah..."I've heard that line almost 5-7 times already this year, mostly from my teachers. Still, it's the truth. In 5H, I'm unbeatable. The next person in line usually has an average 15-20% less than mine, and I'm pretty much guranteed a place in every Award Ceremony since F4. In fact, since my own class isn't that much of a challenge, I value 1st place in class quite lowly now. I only bother to compare with the other classes in the form. (Especially with the aforementioned "super-class", 5U)
Even my teachers say I should have been in 5U. I'd think if I wanted to, I could have just asked, and I would have gotten it back in F4. But I chose to stay in 5H. Well, in what other class do you get marks for drawing? (Other than art of course) The tradeoff for pursuing a hobby/ambition is that this happens to be the class with the lowest overall average in the Science stream. (Because every other decent architect-potentials in the form decided to study Biology. Or Accounts)
So, separated from friends in a low-rep class. Yet, I have not, nor will I regret my choice. From what I gather, it's been a long time since someone from 5H could go toe-to-toe with the Pure Science classes. And class separation doesn't mean I get passed over for stuff, like today's Chem quiz. Sure, I may not study the somewhat more prestigious Biology, but the world needs its engineers too, doesn't it?
____________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
"The Road Not Taken" - Robert Frost
No comments:
Post a Comment