Monday, March 30, 2009

"What's in a Name?"

Hardly anyone ever calls me by my Chinese name, which makes sense since I already have a Christian name. Those who do usually call my Chinese out of sheer fun, just to see if I would respond. Of course, those days are long gone. Nowadays, it's mostly my Christian name.

Nevertheless, there are still a few friends who still occasionally call me by my Chinese name, just for the fun of it. Of course, since it's such a rare occasion, most of my friends now view my Chinese name as an "affectionate nickname". A fact which Fiona unfortunately found out today...

The incident was innocent enough. She merely called me by my Chinese name during the marching show this morning. Then the fun starting piling in. Until she even jokingly demanded that I cancel out my Chinese name (My counter-point? That it's just my name, and I can also call her by her Chinese name if I wanted to, not that I might want to)...

____________________


I made an origami rose over the weekend with instructions available over the internet. An interesting challenge. I even made one wrapped in gold foil for Kak Lai Yee. (In response, she gave me a mini-bookmark with one of those name-letter-meanings)

____________________


Backstreet Boy's "Shape of my Heart"

No comments: