Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"Constructing Devastation"

Oh, hey. You're back. Don't mind the delay, I've been busy over the weekend. With what you ask? Why don't I just show you :

Yup, it's that giant robot (or more accurately, combination of giant robots) from Transformers : Revenge of the Fallen. For those who don't remember, he's the one near the end where 7 construction vehicles combine to form him. Not helping? Okay, he's the one who got destroyed by a prototype railgun, after the infamous quote by Agent Simmons, "I am directly beneath the enemy's scrotum".

Admittedly, he's far from movie-accurate. (Accuracy kinda takes a back seat when you're working with the limited amount of parts that I have) This version's limbs are not construction vehicles, nor are they even the same Constructicons. They're just a bunch of different transforming creations specifically built to combine into this huge guy. As such, they do not match up to the actual Constructicons in the movie.

Here's a picture that might help you see how big he is (2 ft by 2 ft by 1 ft while on all fours) :
He can so swallow that cup whole...

Took me the whole weekend to build him. Yeah, and he's heavy. Really, really heavy. I lifted him with my left arm for a few minutes, and that arm was aching a while later. Also, he can't keep his head up without help...

Right then, let's break him down brick by brick :

____________________
Torso / Main Body piece

You've already seen this guy. He's my The Fallen creation from a while back.

I chose him for the main body because, well, I wanted a big body, he was around, and building onto him felt easier than creating a new one from scratch.

In the movie, this part belongs to Scavenger (hydraulic excavator) and Overload (flatbed truck).

____________________
Left Arm

Wonder if you'll believe me if I told you I've managed to LEGO-ize Soundwave, the satelite Decepticon?

It's pretty much an almost exact copy of his toy set form, right down to the Triple-Changing ability. Yup, he has three forms, as you can see in the picture. From left, Space Cruiser, Satelite, and robot. "Left-hand of combiner" doesn't exactly count as a form though...

In the movie, this part belongs to Hightower (crane).

____________________
Right Arm

This guy is my own idea. I don't really know what to name him. I can't call him Sideswipe or Arcee, since those are Autobots. Guess I'll just settle for that other sports car, Sideways. (I know, colours and form don't match, but this is a personal creation)

Trivia : This is my mom's personal favourite out of the 6...

In the movie, this part belongs to Scrapper (front-end loader).

____________________
Left Leg

The helicopter idea is nothing new. Since there's already a helicopter Decepticon in the movie, I'll just name this after him : Grindor. Oh, and the propellor spins in both modes.

In the movie, this part belongs to Rampage (bulldozer).

____________________
Right Leg

To be honest, this is an old idea, salvaged and modified into a new form. (Yes, I've built Transformers before) I'm not naming him Starscream or Jetfire (Those names should not be tampered with). There's another jet Decepticon featured in the game adaptations of the movie. I guess I'll name him after that one : Dreadwing

In the movie, this part belongs to Long Haul (dump truck).

____________________
Head

To be honest, I have to idea what to make of this guy's vehicle form. Originally is was a jalopy of a junk car with a different head design, but let's face it. How can it be Devastator without his gaping maw of crushing doom. So, as the head mode changed, the robot and vehicle modes changed as well. I still have no idea what vehicle it is. Oh, well, I guess the original guy's name sticks : Mixmaster

The movie Mixmaster is a Cement Mixer.

____________________

Well, I guess that's it then. The full gallery is available here. Feel free to keep looking, and remember to comment. In fact, you should comment. Devastator demands it.

Otherwise he'll just suck you into his giant gaping maw of crushing doom :

Yeah I forgot to mention this model can do that. Though the crushing internals don't spin, the mouth can open all the same. And this is the reason he can't keep his head up without help. (Those large wheel pieces are heavy!)

Here's a comparison pic from the movie :


That's all for now. Until the next post!

No comments: