Sunday, June 1, 2008

"Hop on the plane, and fly away"




Been in PD for the last 4 days. Church Camp! (Whoot!!!) Had loads of fun there, as well as learned some important things in the process. I totally stuffed myself on food during the mealtimes (and you wonder where does it all go...). We also had some exciting fellowship, and a great message by our speaker. The T-shirts as seen above are part of the deal too! Well, time to get down to details:

1st day. At 8.00++, we gathered at church for the Treasure Hunt challenge. The whole route to PD was the "hunting ground", so we spent the whole 2 hours ++ looking out for answers to some killer questions (okay, they're not that hard, but tricky nonetheless). I was in the same group as Elder Sonny, aunty Eng Choo, Betsy, and Ming Wei. We had a good time solving the questions and just being together as a group. Enjoy fellowship whenever it's had, people! We arrived just in time for lunch. It was at the ever great Tractor's Bungalow. There was a great breeze out there, just perfect. Later, we went to the hotel, Casa Rachado (I clearly remember reading about a Cape Rachado somewhere in my Form 3 textbook). It's a small hotel, approximately 70 rooms, but it was good enough. By the way, the rooms are in such a way that 3 rooms are connected by a single living room, essentially forming 1 apartment. Now that's what I call fellowship! In my room were Lionel, Elliot, and Calvin, while we shared the apartment with Elder Sonny, aunty Eng Choo, aunty Yvonne, and Xi Wei. I spent most of the afternoon walking around the hotel area, and checking out the function room. Later, we had dinner over at Tractor's, which was a 5 minute drive from the hotel (and a 30 minute walk along the beach). I overindulged myself here, as my 2nd round of food was larger than my 1st round. Fortunately, the stomachache didn't last long. We headed back to the hotel (while the children stayed for the Children's Church sessions at the bungalow) and had a time of Praise and Worship and an intro to the camp. We also found out the Treasure Hunt results. My group, Hunters, didn't win anything, but, thankfully, weren't in the bottom two, as those two teams had to perform a dance. Had devotion later in the night, and then some supper nicely provided by aunty Yvonne, before going to sleep at around 11.00 ++.

2nd Day! By sheer force of will (and perhaps a little noise from unknown sources), I actually managed to wake up 5 minutes before my alarm rang at 6.30. After washing up, we had our Quiet Time session at 7.00. After that, went for breakfast at 7.30++. Me and Calvin were the first ones there. I happily indulged myself again. Then we had our Praise and Worship, and the first Talk of the camp. Learned some valuable lessons there. Later, we headed back to the bungalow for lunch, and our group photo session. Then we had loads of free time. We had drama practice, where our creative minds were put to work. I then took another walk around the hotel. Not really much to see, since it's so small. Also met up with long time friends Charnice and Elaine. We hung out for a while, before I went with Jackie on a walk along the beach. We turned back halfway to Tractor's Bungalow. I was in time for football. Scored 3 goals today. Went back to shower and freshen up for dinner, which, again, was at the bungalow. Didn't manage to overindulge, fortunately. Then had Praise and Worship and Drama! I love Drama Time. Who doesn't? Had loads of laughs. Didn't win first place, but still had lots of fun. Later went back for devotion. For supper, the whole camp actually went to one of the apartment rooms, where we had more food! Went back and slept after that.

The next day, like usual, woke up and had Quiet Time. Then went for breakfast. I indulged myself, again. Then went for Praise and Worship, and the next talk. Had trouble staying awake this morning. Luckily, the Pastor was very light-hearted and even touched on the subject of sleep. "Even the apostles were sleepy during the transfiguration and in Gethsemane. Sleep is a body function, not driven by willpower, so we cannot blame someone if they're tired. Sleep is a sign of human frailty". Now the whole church has an excuse for falling asleep in church. Lunch at the Bungalow again, happily indulged myself. Went back to the hotel and hung out around the swimming pool with Charnice, Susanna and Matthew. Went back to the room at around 2.00 and took a 2 hour nap, before heading down to play more football. Form dropped today, but still managed to score 2 goals. Then like before, went back, cleaned up, went to bungalow for dinner, indulged myself, and went back to hotel for Praise and Worship and the final talk of the camp. This final session was quite powerful in particular. Later, after Devotion, the whole church went to the same room for supper (feast). Ate heartily, again. This time, went to sleep at 12.00. Man, you gotta love the fellowship when we get together.

Last day. Woke up, had Quiet Time, and went down to breakfast. Unfortunately, I could not stay after breakfast as my dad was quite sick with fever. So, after indulging myself for the last time, my family left for home. Although I wasn't there for the Sharing session, I did pass what I wanted to share to Calvin, so, I guess I was there, in spirit. Later in the evening, I chatted with Elaine about what I missed, and she said that my dad's not the only one who was sickly (Hope you feel better now, cousin). Chatted with Charnice later, and she commented that my testimony was deep. Somehow, when I asked both girls what was for lunch, they had to do something else. I guess I may not find out what I missed for lunch. Hey, don't look at me that way. I'm a food person, and as long as it's buffet style, it's definitely the more the merrier!

Missed church this morning since my dad was still sick, but he's recovering. Had lots of time to rest too. Oh well. At least I still have the memories, and the teachings to hold on to from this camp. "Building on the Rock". Can't wait for YF camp later this year! Well, that's all for now. Until next time. And here's what I shared "in spirit" on the last day of camp:

"I was dropped into the ocean
And swam for myself
Until I reached an island
And aimed to learn and get all I can from here
Along the way, I saw many things
I saw a boat
But it was empty
I saw a ship
But it was empty
Then at last
I saw a plane
With the Pilot standing next to it
He asked me to join Him
So I climbed into the back seat
And we took of from the island
I don't know where I'm going
But I'm not afraid
To follow Him wherever He leads me
And that's how I'm gonna live my life
From now on"

No comments: