Saturday, June 28, 2008

"Bicara Professional"

otherwise known as Open Day. For achievers like me, this is basically no big deal, since I always get results my parents are proud of. This year, as usual, the prefects are on duty. But with installation looming a month away, it's time for the upcoming board to show our stuff. And how does the current board decide to do it? By placing me in charge of the upcoming board. Nothing much really. All I had to do was organise the duty posts and stuff. Of course, with everyone practically breathing down my neck, I began to loose my cool. Fortunately, the Capt. gave me a little encouragement, and so I managed to keep myself in check. The rest of the day went by smoothly, escorting parents, figuring out whose turn is it to escort parents and so on. Good thing at 10.30, the Capt told/ordered those who haven't eaten to eat, otherwise I wouldn't have wanted to eat at all. Eventually, my own parents came. Then there's the same stuff I hear every year from my class teacher, "good student, etc, etc....." Then I brought my parents to see the Form analysis, and then they went back home. I personally chose to stay, out of my own free will. But by then, I was already very tired, and by around 11.30 ++ , we prefects decided to call it a day. We spent the remaining hour in the Prefects' Room. By now, only very few of us were left. The only ones in the Room were Lai Yee, Suba, Simon, Arvin, Kiri and me. Arvin was doing some reading at his end of the long table, Kiri was listening to the Prefects' exclusive, working, radio, and Lai Yee, Simon, Suba, and me were chatting near the door.

After a while, Kak Lai Yee decided that the four of us should tell some stories. She asked us to share about our first impressions of each other, within the four of us. Suba and Simon remembered Kak Lai Yee as a nice mentor. Kak Lai Yee remembered Suba as somewhat of a loner, and Simon as a sensitive guy, to which Suba also agreed. Simon says he didn't interact with Suba much until Form 4, and all three of them remembered me as the "blur-case" back in Form 1. My first impressions of them? Well, I remembered Simon as a mediator, able to calm others, and in general, quite nice. Probably must have gotten it from Kak Lai Yee. He was also the 2nd person to ask me to become a prefect. Kak Lai Yee quickly asked him why did he ask a blur guy like me, and he replied something about "unseen potential". Suba, I didn't know that much. Heck, I never even dutied as a probate under her. The first time I was in the same duty post as her was the week exactly after installation, and by that time, she already cooled from training us. About Kak Lai Yee? Well, my first interaction with her was in Form 2, when she, waiting for her parents or something, helped me chase a stubborn student into the hall.

I guess we learned something about each other today, not to mention strengthened the unity among ourselves. Story-telling does quite a lot of wonders. Maybe that's all we need to re-forge the fragmented shards of unity within the upcoming board. Thank you Seniors! Your lessons will live through me, and the rest of the upcoming board. Well, that's all for now. Until my next post!

No comments: