Friday, May 23, 2008

"Hooray! Hooray! It's a Holi-holiday!"

A great ending to possibly the most hectic week of school this year...

The week started out on a high, with me getting a double movie treat, "Speed Racer" on Sunday, and "Prince Caspian" on Monday. (See previous entry for details) Then exams continued. This week, we had Add Maths, Moral, Engineering Drawing (for my class only), and Chemistry.The first three were relatively easy (I risk being killed for saying that Add Maths is easy), while Chemistry kept me at the edge of my seat till the last second. Imagine trying every possible way to solve a certain question, and nearly giving up and aiming for the closest answer, then you suddenly get the urge to look closer at your calculator, and find out the answer is right there! And then shading the answer sheet, all within the last 3 minutes before the paper ended. Man, I took big, deep breaths right after that. After the Engineering Drawing paper, I had to avoid saying too much about how easy it was because the Biology and Accounting students around me were tensed to the point that they would kill the next person who said their subjects were easy. Most of them, even the brainy ones claimed they didn't have time to finish their paper. I just ... smiled. Ah, such is the life of exams, in Malaysia of course...

Then throughout the week, I also had to do some extra work that I've been doing since 2 weeks ago. What work you ask? Well, some of you probably already know that I'm the ghost writer behind the Teacher's Day program book. You know, the little piece of paper that has the schedule, and the work committee, yada, yada, yada? Why did I let myself get tangled up in another committee's work, while I myself was in charge of something else ? Well, let's travel back two, no, three weeks ago. Let's see, it was a Monday, no, Wednesday, I think. I was taking a short nap in the Prefect's room in the morning before school, when Janice woke me up, and got me to help her design and print out the Program Book.

Well, what else to do? She had exams that week, I didn't. So, when I got home, I immediately set out designing the Program Book. Looked darn nice when I was done. Passed it to her the next morning, got her thanks and an apology. Fast forward to next week, she told me that there were some changes that need to be made. So, on Thursday, after getting the necessary info, I went back, edited it, and gave it back to her the next day, and got more thanks and apologies. Then fast forward to this week. Tuesday, after school the lot of us committees attended the planing meeting for Teacher's Day, oh by the way, I was in charge of decor, in case you don't already know. Banged my head on the table when the teacher in charge commented on more things that need to be changed in the Program Book. Janice passed the info to me the next day, as well
as two Editorial Board thumbdrives for me to save into, so that we can make any last minute adjustments in school the next day if need be. Also on that day, Nazurah and I went to see the teacher in charge to get the money for the decor. Didn't get it today, so she would go and see the teacher tomorrow to get it. So, later, I went home and edited the darn thing yet again.

When I was done, I plugged the first EB thumbdrive in, and immediately received a "Threat Detected" warning from my PC Antivirus (I had two antivirus programs running, mind you). Scanned tthe thumbdrive, and found a whopping 130+ virus programs in there. Then I plugged the second thumbdrive in, and found 70+ virus programs. Man, these people (SMKC's Editorial Board, in case I wasn't clear) have really got to take care of their equipment. Purged the 200+ viruses, and saved the Program Book files into one of the thumbdrive. Handed it back to her the next day, and got my final string of thanks and apologies (Up to date, she has apologised 15+ times and thanked me 20+ times, give or take). Thankfully, the final one was perfect. It had better be, cause on that day (yesterday), we were supposed to decorate the school, and I wouldn't have had time to edit it anymore.

Concerning the decorations, I proposed in the meeting after school yesterday that at least 20-30 prefects would be needed to help decor the school (if we wanted to be back early). What happened next was sort of a surprise. Our Capt. ordered that every single one of us prefects stay back to help, and the V. Capt. enforced it by saying no one's allowed to go back. Nazurah went to the Plaza Rakyat Mydin, and of course, I didn't know that it would take her until 4.00 pm to arrive back in school. By then, 3 quarters of the prefect board were already gone, given permission by the Capt. and V. Capt., even though those two stayed, and were willing to help until the end. They left at around 5-6, which, sad to say, wasn't exactly the end. With our diminished manpower, we might have taken a long time, were it not for the entire afternoon section prefects who happily skipped classes to help us. They claimed the teachers weren't teaching today. Makes sense, as even I wouldn't want to teach after exams, on the second last day before the holidays. Gotta give credit, those guys know how to blow balloons, and blow them they did. I heard they were actually competing among themselves to see who could blow the most, or fastest, I think. Oh well. We finished for the day at 7.00 pm, and I was really exhausted. Good thing my mother agreed with me having a break, seeing as my exams are over.....

Now, finally, onto today! I woke up at 5.30 just to be at school before 6.00. Found out that I was the first one there, and the next few pref's didn't arrive until 6.15. Finally, Nazurah arrived with the keys to the room where we left our materials, and so we resumed work. We hung balloons throughout the halls, and I didn't finish until 7.05++, moments before the assembly started. Nazurah was already away to prepare for the welcoming committee, and the rest of our muscle was away at the duty briefing, which I had to miss. Tied my last knot just as the students were lining up. Then, back to the business of controlling students, yada, yada, yada...

The event itself was a little on the boring side, but livened up when the teachers did the usual thing with their oath, singing, and cake cutting. Then the performances. There was a flute solo, which I enjoyed, and a poem or two, which I missed to got o recess. Then a sketch by the creative Lower 6 students, and finally, a cultural dance which practically combined Malay, Indian, and Chinese dance moves into one big performance. By the way, I found out today that my body cannot handle vegetarian. I took one bite of the vegetarian burger (all sponsored, by "The Green Earth") and spat it back out. My body won't even let me swallow it! I then tried a nibble, and even that I had to spit back out. Good thing I bought the trusty old canteen's sandwiches. One of my Seniors also wanted to share a piece of chocolate cake, the one the teachers cut earlier, I think. Three of us finished it, when another teacher came and handed to me his goodie bag filled with a veggie burger (eech!) and another slice of cake. I promptly gave away the burger, and let another prefect have the cake.

Later, we got to watch the teachers' telematch! Me and a few Seniors sat on the side of the stage to get a view of the event. Unfortunately, some students are just too curious for their own good. We still got a glimpse of the telematch, and the water balloon shower that followed. One of the water balloons even headed in our direction, and everybody scrambled. I got hit by a drop or two, very little. Sad to say, a lot of teachers didn't make it out dry. Hehe... During this time also, some s F1/F2 students were beginning to go on a destructive rampage, popping some of the decoration balloons! The nerve! I went and gave a good sounding, though i t only lasted a few minutes, cause next they actually went and started taking down the balloons! Sometimes I wonder if they've ever seen balloons before. I let them be, since I was too lazy to go and sound them again.

The celebrations ended at 12.00 pm, comparatively earlier than the usual Friday time of 12.30pm. I helped clean up, and bought a drink from the canteen. After drinking, I headed to the prefects' room, and actually fell asleep on one of the plastic chairs. That was around 12.40-12.50. Mind, you, it's not exactly comfy sleeping on plastic chairs. But I did actually sleep, believe it or not! Around 1.10, I was startled awake by some voices, and saw some prefects a few feet in front of me. They too were surprised that I managed to sleep in the prefects' room. Turns out they want to use the room for their scouts' campfire dance practice, so I helped them push aside the chairs, and went to the back to sleep some more. Of course, everybody knows that you can't stay asleep if there are people dancing in the exact same room as you, so at around 1.45, I grabbed my file, and unceremoniously walked out the door, and headed home.

Two whole weeks of holidays coming up! And guess what, we have Church Camp next week! Whoot! Well, that's all for now. I'll post again as soon as something else significant happens. Now after all that reading, I'm, sure you'd like some music. Here's "The Call", by Regina Spektor, played at the end of "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian".




By the way, I totally recommend watching the movie if you haven't already. That, and, well, "Speed Racer". Actually, scrap that. You won't enjoy "Speed Racer" if you don't have the spirit of a racer. Well, that's all for now. Until next time. And to Janice Lee if she ever reads this, Happy Birthday! (Really, I completely don't mind having to help her with her work!)

No comments: