Thursday, May 13, 2010

"A New Ball Game"

UPDATE : Pictures! Scroll to bottom.

*Text-Heavy Post*

So, orientation week for Cochranean Lower Sixes (*ahem*, lower Pre-U) ended today. And I'm sure most of you fellow class of 09'ers would like to know how it went...

Well, then let's get right down to it. Monday, the first day, when we all signed up and started guessing who's from where, who is what, and who's gonna show up. A few short introductory speeches and briefings (I'd think my newfound friends would disagree on the "short" part...) and after lunch, an Ice-breaker, where we were split up according to the month of our birth... So, obviously, I got the youngest group of the lot ;)

Then on day 2, more briefings, a talk by an invited speaker, and the Mentor-Mentee program. Quoted drectly from one of the seniors to me, "I don't think you really need a mentor..." Yeah... In fact, my mentor was from SMK Taman Connaught, so he practically couldn't tell me anything about SMKC that I don't already know. But I do appreciate a top student's insight into F6 life, even though I already have a very good idea of what to expect. Heck, I even know all the teachers...

Oh, yeah, I even made it in time to join the Christian Fellowship for Sister's Day after the activities. My my, how the CF has grown... Needless to say, it was a whole lotta fun...

Day 3. Pidato contest. Twelve groups, 2 representatives from each (except for one group, who sent 3), a list of 4 specified topics to choose from, and 2 minutes to say it all. "Konsep 1Malaysia", "Perpaduan Teras Kemajuan", a third topic I don't remember anyone speaking about, and "Membaca Menjana Masyarakat Bermaklumat". Me and my fellow group-mate ironically drew the last two numbers of the lot, 24 & 25. I went last with the 4th title, as it was the only one I didn't feel cynical about. Got to meet more people today.

After lunch, we had station games. Twelve teams merged into six. Well, it was fun for the 1st 4 stations my group went through. Even being pelted with paint, flour and drenched with water didn't seem so bad. Of personal note particularly, at the 4th station, as team leader (oh, did I mention that?) I was supposed to throw water balloons at my teammates for them to catch, and throw back for me to catch. I tried not to use the heavier balloons for as long as possible. Near the end, some of us were inevitably soaked, but alas, the last balloon to throw was despicably heavy. The girl on the receiving end of the court was very grateful when I chose to burst the balloon in my own hands instead of throwing it...

And then we get to the 5th station, where, well, let me say this... There's punishment for failing a task, and then there's "punishment" because the guy in charge is an a**. When we got there, they complained that we made them wait in the sun. Suffice to say, fatigued & tired, I lost my temper and lambasted out the list of stuff we got showered with. They backed off easily enough, fortunately. Still had to do the task, but in my enraged state, there was little chance, if at all, of me cooperating with any resulting punishments... Yeah, and while still in my soaked shirt, I gave the person in charge of the final station a nice bear-hug...

Finally today, the fourth day. First, we were finally streamed into our classes. LS1 for me, naturally, along with Melvyn, Chen Liong, and Yern Yerng (whom I sit next to), with Pn. Maziah as class teacher. Got to know our new classmates, and had quite a bit of fun electing our class committee ;) After some cleanup, us Cochraneans rejoiced when we found out we got the very much preferred Pn. Goh (instead of the other possibilities...) as our MUET teacher. Then we had the preliminary rounds of the Public Speaking contest. Everyone in class had to speak, and Pn. Goh chose the best 5 of us to compete in the final round. With my talk on "Dreams", I progressed into the next round along with my fellow new classmates, Jeremy, Joel, Kah Kit, and Amanda (Jeremy with an amusing take on "Boxers vs Briefs"). For the final round, I was exuberant to have drawn the topic "Freedom". Probably one of the most rousing talks I've given, ever...

The final event was a inter-team Talent Show. Some acted, some sang, all were wonderful. I led my group in a modest choir of "Don't Stop Believing". Someone asked me, "How did you get a classical guitar to sound so loud?..." The closing ceremony rounded off the week, and I got 2nd place for public speaking, beaten out by the aforementioned classmate Jeremy with other classmate Amanda in 3rd place. Also, unbelievably, our station games team were co-winners for the station games. Group photos and hamper divisions followed. Well, that tops off a good day as asked from the Lord (though I never expected it to turn out this way...) When I manage to track down the ones with the cameras today on Facebook, I'll link the photos... Gotta memorize their names first...

Well, that's it for this week. Classes start tomorrow, and we have a Gotong-Royong Perdana this Saturday. To be honest, I'm pumped. Can't wait to go back and get to know more about my lively classmates. Quote from Pn. Goh, "I see we're going to have a different Science 1 class this year..."



I think I should just make this my theme song...

No comments: