Thursday, December 8, 2011

"Internet Intermission"

Break time again. Six papers down, two to go, but not until next week.

Just for fun, I decided to check out a bit of my internet activity. Namely, this blog. There's the usual stuff, the spikes in page views near posting time. Seems my readership has gone up as well. As can be clearly seen, I'm starting to get strange posts from "blogwalkers" in the chatbox. Some I'm sure are spambots (the ones that link to "buy this" sites and the ones saying "nice content/info", obviously), others are a little less clear. Their sites give some semblance of news and stuff like that, but it's hard to tell them apart from most of the junk around the internet. There are indeed a few genuine blogs in the mix, though. This one, "The Kiz Garden" seems like a good read. Not really anything in there that I'd dig, but hey, I'm sure the guy won't mind some free publicity.

Then I went behind the scenes and got quite the surprise:
This is the "All Time" pageviews stats. As you can see, there is one whopping big spike in July 2009. Over 6000 views??? How come I wasn't aware of this in July 2009??? Heck, what was I even writing about in July 2009???

*goes to check July 2009 archives*

Oh, I see... Um, I don't recommend going there. How should I put this... Umm... Well, going through the posts, they're quite... emo-y. I mean, it's not really that big of a deal now, but yeah. Peruse at your own discretion. Wait, wait, how did those emo-y writings manage to get so many views??? Compared to every other month between then and now??? What does that say about the tastes of people on the internet???

*Ahem* Anyway, seems like the viewership is sorta steady at about 1000 views per month, plus or minus. We'll see how that pans out into the future. Come to think of it... Hey, I can actually do things with 1000 views per month. This... this has potential... All I need to do now is to plan a direction... what am I gonna focus writing on... What does the internet like to see/read?... Then there's the little search indexing feature... (On by default, but I turned it off years ago) Imagine the possibilities...

Hey, you readers out there. You don't mind a little advertising work around here, do you?...

UPDATE : Doesn't really seem that the numbers are reliable. Upon checking the view count for the posts in July '09, only that "Angel of Death" thing post showed numbers, and even then just a little over a hundred. As a matter of fact, almost all of them show zero views. Wait, of course. People scroll through blogs from the main url. Nobody actually clicks on and reads each post one by one. Yeah, no worries, just me thinking too much. Carry on.

________________________________________


Continuing the "tracing my steps around the internet" bit, I decided to see how I stand in the world of gaming. Specifically, gaming on the iPad. Even more specifically, how I rank in Game Centre standings, namely, for Angry Birds, as it's probably the one I spend the most time on. Normally, I'm more of a solo gamer and can't be bothered about online rankings and stuff. But, you know, just curious.

So first off, the one that stated it all. The original Angry Birds.
So apparently I rank at number 927 590, which is within the top 10%. Out of...
Woah, 18 million plus players. On Apple iDevices alone. And I'm in the top million, the top 10%. This... this sorta feels good, actually. But holy @#$% those guys at the top have seriously @#$% scores. How many digits are the-... 9 quintillion points??? Wowzers. Talk about serious gaming. Especially compared to my mere 21 million points. Seriously, man, like, woah. I can't even punctuate properly now...

The next one is the free, ad-supported version. The devs were actually thoughtful enough to put completely different levels into this one, so it's actually worth having it and the original side-by-side. Since it's well, free, I opted for the HD one. Downside is that you'll have to click on the pictures to get a good view of the numbers.
So here I'm number 24865. Top 25000, not bad. Top 5%. Cool.
Top 25000 out of 5 million plus players, on iDevices. This time the points at the top are not too far off from mine. Dude at the top has 1.7 mil, while I have 1.2 mil. Less levels, smaller margin, makes sense.

Next is the Rio version.
Top 5% again, not bad. 170 866. Out of...
5 mil players. Again, on iDevices. @#$% is that another 9 quintillion score??? Dude, like, the guy behind him can't even come close! I'm well aware of the hardcore type of gamer, but man, it's still quite a thing to see, much less go up against...

The last one is Seasons. This is the one I actually spend effort on to get 3 stars on all levels. Chalk it up back to Christmas last year, with their advent calender style, one-level-a-day gimmick. Well, how else was I gonna pass the time with only one level to play a day? They've repeated it for this year's Christmas edition as well.
Top 5% again, with quite a decent score there. It's actually kinda nice to know that I'm somewhere up there,  for this game at least, considering how I like to game, while not really being that hardcore. Don't get me wrong, I'm not that casual either.
Another 9 quintillion-er... I guess it shouldn't surprise me much any more. Seriously, man, how does one get that kind of score??? I mean, I scored 3 stars on all the levels in this version, and look at mine! Oh wait, I didn't do it for last year's Halloween. But even if I did, I simply can't imagine how one scores up to 21 digits... Still, maybe when I get the time, I could bump up my ranking a bit...

I'm digging the new orange bird, by the way. Probably my favourite, followed by big red and boomerang. Anyone else think so?

By the way, I could use a few Game Centre friends, so that next these screens won't look so miserable with "No Scores" under the Friends section. My handle is Sal35. I'll be waiting!

2 comments:

sally3390 said...

Curiosity kills the cat. Muahaha!

Reventist said...

That's what it gets for trying to catch the Angry Birds... ^^