Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Ouch!

WARNING! Avoid walking barefoot in school. You'll never know what tiny, sharp objects might be lying around, like in my case today.

After recess, it was PJ, so I went and played football with the rest of the class. Didn't wear shoes because the field was waterlogged (and freshly fertilized, never ideal conditions for PJ). So when the period was over, we trudged back to the changing room, wet and mud(and I don't want to know what else)-stained. So I got changed, and came out of the stall to put my shoes on, when "CRACK!" Something broke under my foot. Looked and saw a small, plastic fragment, sharp around the edges. About 2-3 seconds later, I realized I was bleeding, badly(felt no pain, interestingly), so I quickly rushed to the nearby water taps and washed the cut. A classmate commented that my blood was like water-colour (which isn't good, mind you), while another one helped bring me to the St. John's Ambulance fellows training nearby (it is Wednesday, after all). Only the girl members were in sight, the boys all seemed to have disappeared elsewhere. So, my classmate left me in their care and went back to the changing room, while the St. John's girls took me to the water taps to wash the cut (again) while they fetched the first aid kit. The bleeding finally stopped while washing, and I saw that the cut was no more than a centimetre long. The girls then warned me that the disinfectant might hurt, but, given the small size of my cut, it didn't. Then they did the usual with the gauze and iodine, and covered the cut, and that was that. I limped my way back to the changing room, grabbed my clothes (I was already in uniform), and limped back to class.

I left 3 blood stains in school, one in the changing room, one by the water taps, and one in the assembly ground while limping to the St. John's members, all 3 no more than a foot in diameter. I still have the gauze on my foot while typing this, and I think I will continue to have it on for a while. So, you may notice me limping a little while walking during the next few days.

No comments: