Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"Under the Radar"

I've been trying to do this thing where I reduce my time and presence on social networks.

Wasn't hard, 'cause it turns out I'm quite the lurker online. I mean, for all the time I spend online, I don't IM, I don't share stuff, and I rarely participate in comment threads.

Yet despite all that, I'm always accessible since I carry my iDevices everywhere, and the abundance of free WiFi all over the place. All one has to do is send me something that will trigger notifications on my devices i.e. mail and FB wall posts, messages and tags.

Notification Center. Allowing me to determine whether or not I need to apologize for getting back to you late.

And since even that hardly happens, it's easy to presume that my network absences aren't missed. Thus, virtually no need for me to be on social networks, therefore, reduced network activity.

If you need me, I'll be over in another part of the internet doing what I do best, and what everyone else could stand to do much more: Reading.

To everyone who has ever asked what exactly do I read on the internet, here's one answer for you. As for the remaining hundred or so sites, well let's take things slowly at first, okay?

________________________________________


Last Saturday, the workplace organised their annual Battlebot Challenge competition. Basically, the gist of it was that contestants build and test LEGO robots of their own design, powered by the Mindstorms NXT platform, and bring them to battle, sumo-style in an open arena.

   


It's way, way more fun than it sounds. How I wish we had these when I was still in school. I coulda' been a contender!
Told you it was fun...

Speaking of which, one of the schools we teach in is doing preparations for the upcoming annual National Robotics Challenge, which I've learned is organised by Sasbadi. Yeah, that Sasbadi, book publishers. They also sell LEGO Education sets to schools in Malaysia, apparently.

Apparently

I also learned that they've been organising said competition since 2005. Which, coincidentally, was the same year I began Form 1. In other words, I could've been participating, and possibly even excelling in said competitions had my old school been taking even the tiniest bit of interest in these things.

And you know I would have.

Please excuse me while I seethe and rue over missed opportunities and a whole school life that could have been.

________________________________________


Oh, and has anyone noticed today's date? 21-02-2012. Another one of those funny number dates again.

Well, that's it for now. Good day.

No comments: