Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"Back to Basics"

On Monday, the school sent Upper Science One to a physics seminar organised by the state education department. Unlike previous seminars for the other subjects, this time our whole class could go because... well, apparently there are only 225 STPM candidates taking Physics throughout the whole of KL this year. I'd say that's a bit comforting, until I remembered that we're also competing with Matriculation, and if I'm not wrong, A-levels students, from the whole country nonetheless. And who knows how many of them will be vying alongside me for a spot in Mechatronics Engineering in UTM.

Anyway, back to the seminar. It was in the auditorium at their facility near Jln Duta. By the way, it was kinda amusing to see us carpool-ers have trouble communicating with one another on the way there an back. Despite the lack of refreshments (I don't blame them. After all, we're here for free), I found the seminar to be, well, it was actually very good. To put it in the catch phrase of the lecturer, "Beautiful".

And the lecturer showed us that physics is indeed beautiful. Simple and elegant when you get down to the very basics. And that's probably what I needed to be reminded to do all along; To return to the basic concepts and get the firmest grasp on them. It was a real eye-opener. And maybe, just maybe, the fulfillment of a promise made to me the Sunday before, when the "still, small voice" said to me, "I created this universe, and I can help you understand it."

Powerful words. You know, physicists always say the craziest things when coming up with new theories; quantized energy, time dilation, dark matter, "God-particles"... And yet they think the idea of a supreme mastermind behind it all too crazy for even them. Some acknowledge intelligent design, yes, but not to the point where they recognize the one true God as the Creator of the universe. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Theoretical physics isn't really what I'm aiming for anyway. My passion is inspired by the spirit of creation from the Almighty Himself.

Speaking of creation, here's a few somethings I cobbled together the past few days.


These two are part of what I call, an "ego-trip"...

If there's any device deserving of being called a "tool of creation", I would surely say it's the iPad.

________________________________________


Speaking of basics, it's also time to return back to the basics too as I get ready to pass the torch on to a new generation of prefects. You know, the year was fun and all, but having to serve as a punching bag for maturity-challenged minds, personal vendettas and vengeful souls kinda mars the experience a little. But, I'm not angry, and I don't hold a grudge. Maybe a little saddened perhaps, that the virtues I practice that was taught to me is outright rejected by these minds. Yet if there's one thing I have to learn at this stage, it's that no matter how much it feels like it, not everything that happens is my fault.

Ah, well, best not to wallow in self-loathing so much. After all, everyone will be held accountable for their actions, if not in this life, then at the end of time. But for now, I'm thankful for the ones who stood by me and even took some of the punches alongside me, and most especially the teachers who are ever so patient, gracious, and encouraging. In time, the bitterness will fade and the sadness will lift. And hey, the new board seems to be set in competent hands, so I shouldn't have to worry. As a matter of fact, I'm glad. Very glad. I can finally focus all my efforts to landing that spot in Mechatronic Engineering I mentioned earlier...

For once, I'm looking forward to a Monday...

No comments: