Monday, May 2, 2011

"Blitzkrieg"

Lightning War. In what could have been the busiest week of the year so far...

________________________________________


Tuesday. Visit to the Chemistry Dept. facility in PJ, Selangor. Apparently very near to Amcorp Mall and Section 14. Who knew.

Credit to Yoke Yan for these pictures.

________________________________________


Thursday. Visit from a school from Kelantan.Apparently they were on a road trip through KL and Melaka and decided that SMK Cochrane merited a spot on their list of places to see.

Editorial guys testing out the photo site before their arrival...


Apparently En Yassir was streaming the whole thing live through the school website throughout the thing. Here's the link to his video profile with the list of the events that day. Of note is the inter-school forum. Chairperson Malini kinda went somewhat off the rails until F6 Council prez Moo Kah Kit and yours truly reigned her back in, to comedic effect.

Credit to Bainun (surprise, surprise), Yoke Yan again, and Khew, a new friend from the visitors, for the photos.

________________________________________


Friday. In the morning, there was a ceremony for 1) The handing of power and the reshuffling of the school administration, 2) The farewell for Pn Yap who will be taking a year's sabbatical from teaching. There were speeches. Unfortunately, it seems that nobody's posted photos of this event yet. Anyway, bottom line, the new school system looks like this now:

Principal : Pn Shamsiah
PK1 : Pn Yap (on sabbatical, duties will be taken up by Pn Nafisah)
PK HEM : Pn Salina
PK Koku : Pn Kassnina
PK PPU : Pn Tan
PK Ptg : Pn Sumarni
GK Bahasa : Pn Wan Nura
Head of Disc : En Thanabal

And a whole lot of other shufflings around... Pn Hela and En Sam have been promoted to full-time F6 teachers. Apparently, their level is overqualified for holding Sr Assistant positions. Thus, the reshuffling of administration. Oh, and Pn Hela now goes to ground as a discipline teacher.

Anyway, in light of Pn Yap's farewell for now,

The future is an uncertain thing
Never stopping, ever changing
Many lives we will meet in our own
If only our ways need never part
Yet amidst the hellos and goodbyes
One thing I know for sure
I have been blessed by knowing you
And so have the lives around you too
Such then are our lives for the better
And so I would never trade this life for another

Later in the day, there was an exhibition in the Science labs in conjunction with Science and Tech week. I spent a good portion of time explaining resonance, electromagnetism, and conservation of energy to a bunch of Form 3s and 4s. The last one I explained using the cardboard crossbow I crafted months ago.


________________________________________


Finally, to cap off the week, Saturday. 1Malaysia Pidato competition, Wilayah level, at Seputeh Community Hall.

From SMKC, Thivager Suchart and Nicholas Tan.

Why wasn't I decked in traditional attire? It's complicated. Something about image, message representation, grassroots, "true meaning of unity and 1Malaysia", that sort of stuff. Kind off a sucker punch when it turns out the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners were all wearing that.

All three are from TAR college, by the way...

Though I will defiantly claim that it has more to do with their pidato capabilities rather than their dress. Well, at least three other contestants were dressed in similar attire as I was, including a teacher from Vivekananda. Yeah, he was competing too.

Well, at least I got a book, a trophy, and 200 bucks for my trouble...
And the knowledge that we're supported by an awesome group of friends...

Credit to Malini for the photos, and especially to Kah Yee for the banner.

________________________________________


Okay, so actually, topping off the week was the movie night out on Friday with the Cheras cell gang. Totally rad bunch of guys. We went to MBO Viva Home (totally rad place) and watched this:

Finally, something actually related to lightning...

And because Dad had already planned to watch it with me and Jon, I went for it again this afternoon.

Movie was... nice, I guess. Effects were impressive, story was... okay. Action scenes could've been a lot better though. Well, if you're gonna watch this, I recommend you at least watch it for the Loki character.

And be sure to stay until after the credits...

No comments: