Saturday, October 9, 2010

"From the Pearl of the Orient"

Another group came to visit SMK Cochrane yesterday. This time, from up north, the isle of Penang. And this time, it's not just a few teachers and staff, but a whole contingent of students from schools all over Penang. (and before you ask, no, there were only Malays on the trip, as it was under some 'Zakat' program me or something...)




A month earlier, Pn Tan commissioned me once more to lead the presentation team. A while later, she placed the presentation section under Pn Goh, who then decided that I take a break this round, but still remain as guide (consultant, as I'd prefer ;) for the team. Regardless, I rounded up another team consisting of Moo Kah Kit, Rakib Yakin, Lee Yi En, Thivager, Dharshaini Grace, Suit Yee, & Malini. (Thivager and Suit Yee pulled out later though) The presentation this time was shorter, as only the PPU portion of the school was to be presented. (only F6 students came on the trip, you see) The group elected Kah Kit as their leader, as instructed, and from there I could afford to step back and relax...

...until Pn Tan came and requested that a brief presentation of the school in general be given as well. As such, I had to step up and take part. (Not that I minded, stuff like this is fun...)



Back to the visit. The school apparently scheduled a grand welcome for the visitors. To that end, the teachers roped in the entire PPU Lower form to chip in. A few handled food, some were part of the choir performance, some did manual labour, and a large number were rounded up for the tour around the school. The event as a whole was great. We certainly had fun doing our respective duties. Mixing around with the visitors was good as well, but the part I enjoyed most was seeing all of us PPULs work together to make it a success. Not only that, but I actually got to interact with people whom I would otherwise just pass by in the corridors and hallways... (Malini also commented on how I was smiling the whole day long...)




Big event can really bring people together. I hope we can get as involved next year. On another note, the presentation was the first time where I formally introduced myself as the school captain. Also is the first time this year where my blazer stayed on for a large protion of the day. It all feels good ;D ...


Until next time...

Photos by Yee Ling.

No comments: